So I was looking for video streaming app and came to know most of the good ones are paid ones. I thought to give a try with Plex and as well Air Video HD. I downloaded Plex Media Server and set it up. I opened the app in my iPad and it worked without any issues. But the Plex also has web interface, so I opened the link url and damn, it worked!
UPDATE (16/Dec/2013) : Currently I am exploring all the video streaming apps out there and this article is not complete yet. I will be updating it occasionally. Goal is to find a good streaming app which plays everything, as low CPU usage on PC and works smoothly.
If you don’t want any hassles, go ahead with Air Video HD, works nicely. For a free solution I recommend UMS plus VLC. I will update this tutorial soon and will add instructions about UMS and VLC.
This is how you do it:
- Install Plex Media Server and configure it.
- You will get a link something like http://127.0.0.1:32400/web/index.html
- Replace the 127.0.0.1 part with your machine IP address and open it in safari browser of your iPad. Done!
- Install VLC player
- Click on Cone at top left and select ‘Local Network’
- You should see ‘Plex Media Server : Your machine name’
- Click on it, browse and have fun
- I played Banshee TV series which were in 480p MP4 (played flawlessly)
- Bicycle Thieves 3GB MKV 720p AAC audio (played flawlessly)
- Inception 1080p 11GB MKV with DTS audio (video playback flawless in both safari and VLC, audio sync issues in Safari but everything perfect in VLC)